Roar run comes to an end

Brisbane Roar’s three-match unbeaten run has come to the end, losing 2-1 to Sydney FC at Ballymore Stadium.

Brisbane Roar Youth's three-match unbeaten run has come to the end, losing 2-1 to Sydney FC at Ballymore Stadium.

In wet conditions is was Sydney who settled the better early, controlling the play and looking dangerous pushing forward.

Brisbane were undone in the 10th minute when Justin Hayward ghosted into the box to connect with a low Iain Ramsay cross to opening the scoring.

While the home side tried to work their way into the match, Sydney continued to create chances, with Adam Casey flashing a shot wide of the goal a short time later.

Sydney should have scored again after 19 minutes when Brendan Gan scuffed a shot which hit the post and Matt Acton saved well from Hayward-s follow-up shot.

When Brisbane did get into attacking areas, they struggled to find the room to pull the trigger.

Finally on 33 minutes Isaka Cernak found room for a left-footed shot, but it hit a Sydney defender and deflected just wide of the goal.

With five minutes left in the half Tim Smits very nearly drew his side level when he ran on to a perfect Tyler Thurtell centre, but he couldn-t quite get enough purchase on his header to trouble Ivan Necevski in the Sydney goal.

On the cusp of half-time Smits turned provider for Stefan Vrbesic with a perfectly timed ball into the midfielder-s path, but his shot from inside the box sailed over the bar.

Twenty seconds later with the one minute of stoppage time winding down by Vrbesic and Ken Dougall had goal-bound shots blocked by some desperate Sydney defending.

Just after the restart however, Brisbane were further behind when Ramsay was given two chances to put the ball away.

After having his first attempt foiled by Acton, he coolly slotted the rebound into the net.

Josh McVey made his return from a foot injury as a substitute and he looked lively on his return to action, pulling a shot just wide of the goal shortly after taking the field.

Sydney went within inches of going further ahead with 20 minutes left in the contest when Ramsay hit an angled shot at goal which beat Acton, but also the post.

McVey looked Brisbane-s most likely outlet to goal with his runs down the left side of the Roar attack, but the home side could not breach the Sydney defence.

The hardy home fans were given something to cheer late on when Smits finally found the goal.

Captain Luke Brattan beat three Sydney players on a run through the centre of the pitch before sliding the ball to the Brisbane striker, who got a lucky bobble before thundering a volley off the underside of the bar and into the goal.

Sunday 31 January 2010 Brisbane Roar 1 (Tim Smits 90+5-) Sydney FC 2 (Justin Hayward 10-, Iain Ramsay 59-) Ballymore Stadium, Brisbane Referee: Matthew Skinner

Brisbane Roar squad: 1. Matthew ACTON (GK), 2. Matthew BYRNE, 3. Alistair QUINN, 4. Michael RYAN (15. Antony SCHIAVO 59-), 7. Luke BRATTAN, 9. Tyler THURTELL (14. Albert EDWARD 59-), 10. Stefan VRBESIC (11. Josh McVEY 49-), 12. Ken DOUGALL, 13. Isaka CERNAK, 16. Matt MUNDY, 17. Tim SMITS.

Substitutes not used: 20. Luke MUIR (GK).

Yellow cards: Nil

Red cards: Nil

Sydney FC squad: 1. Ivan NECEVSKI (GK), 2. Antony GOLEC, 3. Hayden FOXE (6. Mitchell SPEAR 46-), 5. Sam GALLAGHER, 7. Dimitrios PETRATOS (14. Tim McGOWAN 57-), 8. Sam MUNRO, 9. Brendan GAN, 10. Iain RAMSAY, 12. Adam CASEY, 16. Justin HAYWARD (4. Joseph GIBBS 59-), 17. Luke ASTIN.

Substitutes not used: 20. Mark PULLMAN (GK).

Yellow cards: Nil

Red cards: Nil