Brisbane Roar has consigned Western Sydney Wanderers to their second defeat of the Hyundai A-League season at the Club's first ever match at ANZ Stadium on Saturday.
Goals either side of half-time from Massimo Maccarone and Ivan Franjic handed the Roar a 2-0 win, extending the home side's winless run to seven matches.
Captain Matt Mackay praised his side's effort after an assured performance and was pleased to pick up the three points.
"I thought everyone stood up today, did a job and the positives are that we have got guys coming back," McKay said.
"It was a really solid performance, we just dug in. Obviously conditions were wet, but it was a great pitch and we really enjoyed it tonight.
On Brisbane's dynamic French attacker the Roar Captain added; "Eric is an outlet for us, he can dribble, take it to the line. I don't know how many times he was fouled today but he was great for us again and we need that from him each week."
Massimo Maccarone opened the scoring on the stroke of half time with a sweet strike after the Wanderers failed to clear a cross, his fourth goal of the campaign.
Returning star Ivan Franjic broke the Wanderers spirit with a sweetly struck striker with his first involvement of the match in the 66th minute coming off the bench to help the Roar secure their first away win since March 5.
With ten first team regulars out injured, tonight's effort was outstanding from John Aloisi's men who were rarely troubled by a dangerous Wanderers outfit.
The Roar will return to Queensland full of confidence next Saturday 9th December (4:35pm KO QLD time), welcoming Wellington Phoenix to CBus Super Stadium on the Gold Coast.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Daniel Bowles played a composed 90 minutes on his first start in ten months after returning from a long-term knee injury, in an impressive defensive performance as the Roar kept their second clean sheet of the season.
- Brisbane's Italian marquee striker opened the scoring on the stroke of half time with a classy finish for his fourth goal of the season.
- Ivan Franjic was introduced by John Aloisi for his second appearance back in orange and made an immediate impact by doubling the visitor's advantage with a precise, curling finish.
- The Roar secure a valuable three points in their first ever appearance at ANZ Stadium in the Hyundai A-League.
- Brisbane Roar pick up their second win of the season and move just one victory outside the top six.
Brisbane Roar - Maccarone 45' - 0-1
The WSW defence fails to deal with a Petros Skapetis cross, allowing Eric Bautheac to head the ball onto Maccarone to lash home a furious half volley into the roof of the net.
Brisbane Roar - Franjic 66' - 0-2
Ivan Franjic collects the ball from Nick D'Agostino on the edge of the area, and curls home a delightful left footed shot into the top corner to give the Roar a two goal cushion.
Hyundai A-League 2017/18: Round 9 - Western Sydney Wanderers v Brisbane Roar
Saturday, 2 December
Western Sydney Wanderers 0
Brisbane Roar 2 (Maccarone 45', Franjic 66')