Roar fall to City

Brisbane Roar have suffered a 2-1 defeat against Melbourne City in Sunday night's Hyundai A-League Round 19 clash at Suncorp Stadium.

The Roar took an early lead through Massimo Maccarone, but were unable to find the back of the net again as two strikes from the visitors was enough for City to take the points.

Brisbane managed to construct a number of clear-cut chances but were made to pay for not being able to get the better of City keeper Dean Bouzanis

"Tonight we weren't ruthless enough in front of goal and that cost us in the end," Head Coach John Aloisi said.

"If we perform like we did tonight, you usually win the football game. We just didn't make enough of our chances."

Italian striker Maccarone clinically buried a header - his eighth goal of the campaign, to put Brisbane ahead in the 14th minute.

The lead was short-lived however as Marcin Budzinski restored parity five minutes later before both sides tested the respective keepers to no avail to round out the first-half.

Brisbane continued to test the City goal, regularly forcing Bouzanis into saves, but it was the visitors who struck the telling blow as Stefan Mauk headed home with a tick under 25 minutes to play, sealing the points.

The result sees Brisbane drop to seventh on the Hyundai A-League ladder, three points behind sixth-placed Western Sydney Wanderers ahead of a trip south to face to Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park on Friday, 9 February (6:50pm KO).


"We have another final coming up next week against the Victory and we believe we can beat them down there," Aloisi said.

"We still have plenty of points to go for and next week is another important game for us."


  • Both sides found the back of the net within five minutes of each other in a frenetic and fast-paced opening.
  • Massimo Maccarone, who opened the scoring, was on hand at the other end of the park to make an incredible goal-line clearance to keep the scores locked at 1-1 during the first-half.
  • Fahid Ben Khalfallah earned the Roar a penalty in the latter stages of the second-half which was taken by Maccarone and saved well by Dean Bouzanis.
  • John Aloisi's side created plenty of opportunities throughout the 90-minutes of end-to-end action at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday but could only hit the back-of-the-net on one occasion.


Brisbane Roar - Maccarone 14' - 1-0
An Eric Bautheac free-kick from the left wing meets the head of Massimo Maccarone whose glancing header finds the bottom corner.

Melbourne City - Budzinksi 19' - 1-1
Daniel Arzani breaks free through midfield before sliding a ball through the defence to Marcin Budzinski who finishes coolly.

Melbourne City - Mauk 66' - 1-2
Marcin Budzinksi curls a ball to the top of the six-yard box which is met by Stefan Mauk who thunders a header in to the back of the net. 



Hyundai A-League Round 19: Brisbane Roar v Melbourne City
Suncorp Stadium
Sunday, 4 February

Brisbane Roar 1 (Maccarone 14'

Melbourne City 2 (Budzinksi 19', Mauk 66')

Half-time: 1-1