Roar determination earns point

Brisbane Roar Youth have grabbed a share of the spoils at Hindmarsh Stadium against Adelaide United with a gutsy 2-2 draw.

Brisbane Roar Youth have grabbed a share of the spoils at Hindmarsh Stadium against Adelaide United with a gutsy 2-2 draw.

Trailing with just minutes remaining in the contest, Tim Smits grabbed the equalising goal to secure a point in a highly-competitive and entertaining contest.

It was Smits who was the first to threaten when he crashed the ball onto the post with a header following a cross from the right side of the park after just 8 minutes.

In an open start to the game, Adelaide United were next to attempt to break the deadlock, but Roar goalkeeper Luke Muir dropped down to his left well from a Francesco Monterosso shot.

However it was a little bit of Jordan Farina magic which opened the scoring on 22 minutes.

Farina, wide on the left, took possession from Adam Sarota before cutting inside to beat his defender and with a curling shot from just outside the box left Adelaide keeper Dan Godley stranded.

The goal was just reward for the away side which had controlled much of the proceedings up to that point.

On the half hour mark Matt Mundy was forced into some desperate defending when Adelaide-s Joel Allwright broke down the right of the park.

With another Adelaide attacker closing on the far post Mundy slid to make the clearance from Allwright-s cross with the ball just going the right side of the post for the Roar defender and away for a corner.

Muir was in the thick of the action with five munites left in the half when he pulled off a double save to deny the home team.

The first shot from Matt Mullen was deflected and only a desperate lunge with his feet kept the ball out of the net and then spreading himself as best as he could from the ground, Muir then denied Inseob Shin from point blank range.

Smits opened the second half with an on target effort which required a save from substitute keeper Codey Larkin, while at the other end Mundy again was required to put himself in the way of an Adelaide cross - this time forcing a save from Muir.

The action was frenetic at the opening of the second half and Smits again had the goal at his mercy, but as with most of the players on the pitch he was surprised to find a Calum O-Connell cross fall at his feet off the crossbar with his weak shot was cleared by the United defence.

However, United were back on level terms six minutes into the half when Evan Kostopoulos created some space for himself on the edge of the Roar box before slotting the ball inside the post.

Farina looked to restore the lead immediately from the restart and his dipping long-range effort required a smart save from Larkin.

The game swung further in the home team-s favour when the referee roughly adjudged Matt Mundy to have handled the ball in the box - despite it appearing more of a case of ball to hand.

Reds captain Mullen stepped up to the spot and, despite Muir diving the right way, put the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Antony Schiavo looked to make an impact off the bench midway through the half, but clear on goal with only the keeper to beat he flashed his shot wide of the mark.

Brisbane tried hard to pull themselves back into the contest, but the Reds were proving resilient in defence and dangerous on the counter-attack.

The Roar then had a shout for a penalty of their own when Smits appeared to be pushed over in the box, but the referee waved the appeals away.

Muir then stopped Monterosso from extending the lead with a good save with his legs as the game entered its final stages.

Then with the match seemingly headed for a home win, Smits found himself in the right place at the right time to draw the Roar level.

Reds keeper Larkin came to collect a deep ball into the box but collided with a defender and the Roar attacker.

Smits was the first to react to the situation, collecting the bouncing ball and slotting it away for the equaliser.

Both sides had opportunities in the closing stages to snatch a win but were unable to sneak the goal to grab the three points.

Adelaide United 2 (Evan KOSTOPOULOS 51-, Matt MULLEN 56- (pen.)) Brisbane Roar 2 (Jordan FARINA 22-, Tim SMITS 88-) Friday, 6 November 2009 Hindmarsh Stadium, Adelaide Referee: Regis QUEFFELEC

Adelaide Untied line-up: 1. Dan GODLEY (OA) (20. Codey LARKIN 46-), 3. Michael DOYLE, 4. Dane MILOVANVOVIC, 6. Alex SUNASKY (12. Joseph WRIGHT 32-), 7. Joel ALLWRIGHT (16. Kingsley FRANCIS 63-), 8. Matthew MULLEN (capt), 10. Andrew CIARLA (9. Evan KOSTOPOULOS 46-), 11. Liam WOODING, 14. Inseob SHIN (OA), 15. Francesco MONTEROSSO, 17. Perry MITRIS.

Substitutes Not Used: Nil

Yellow Cards: Alex SUNASKY (8-), Evan KOSTOPOULOS (83-), Francesco MONTEROSSO (87-), Dane MILOVANOVIC (90+2-)

Red Cards: Nil

Brisbane Roar line-up: 1. Luke MUIR (GK), , 4. Tim SMITS (OA), 5. Matt MUNDY (OA), 6. Calum O-CONNELL (2. Matthew BYRNE 58-), 7. Tyler THURTELL (14. Alistair QUINN 53-), 8. Jordan FARINA, 10. Stefan VRBESIC (15. Antony SCHIAVO 58-), 12. Ken DOUGALL, 13. Adam SAROTA, 16. Bob MALCOLM (OA), 17. Michael RYAN (capt)

Substitutes Not Used: 20. Matt ACTON

Yellow Cards: Bob MALCOLM (61-), Antony SCHIAVO (81-), Luke MUIR (87-)

Red Cards: Nil

Bookmark and Share