Points shared at Ballymore

Brisbane Roar has fought back from 2-0 down to claim a 2-2 draw with Adelaide United at Ballymore Stadium.

Brisbane Roar has fought back from 2-0 down to claim a 2-2 draw with Adelaide United at Ballymore Stadium.

The result means Brisbane has been knocked off top spot in the Westfield W-League, despite stretching its unbeaten run to 18 games.

Lana Harch signalled the home side's intentions in just the fifth minute when she lashed a shot from just outside of the penalty area just wide of the Adelaide goal following some neat play on the edge of the Adelaide box.

Knowing only full points would take them back to the top of the table, the Roar pressed hard early looking for the opening goal to set them on their way.

However it was Adelaide who took a shock lead on 10 minutes when Rachael Quigley pounced on the loose ball to slot home after Roar goalkeeper Kate Stewart failed to claim a corner swung in from the western side of the ground.

Things got even worse for the defending champions with a further 10 minutes on the clock when a superb long-range shot from Ruth Wallace skimmed the underside of the bar and dropped over the line to double the lead.

Brisbane tried to respond positively to the setbacks, but struggled early to crack the Adelaide defence and create clear openings.

Coach Jeff Hopkins shook things up on 38 minutes, replacing Steph Latham with Jo Burgess and the move almost paid immediate dividends with Burgess sliding in the six yard box to meet a Claire Polkinghorne cross but with her first touch she couldn't keep the shot under the bar.

It sparked the Roar into a more attacking mindset as they turned up the pressure on Adelaide.

Tameka Butt decided to take matters into her own hands on 42 minutes with an explosive run the length of the Adelaide half, before cutting across the box to launch a shot at goal which Sian McLaren failed to deal with.

Brisbane captain Polkinghorne had the opportunity to draw her side level on the stroke of half-time but couldn't to put a free-kick won by Butt on target from the edge of the box.

The home side came out with purpose in the second half, winning a corner inside the first minute.

Nothing came of the effort, but it set the tone for the remainder of the half for Brisbane to attack the side sitting bottom of the table and unaccustomed to leading matches this season.

Eight minutes in and Brisbane had the reward for attacking endeavour when Elise Kellond-Knight beat McLaren at her near post with an angled shot following sustained Roar pressure.

Ellen Beaumont went close to putting Brisbane in the lead for the first time, but her shot went across the face of McLaren's goal.

Sasha McDonnell then had claims for a penalty waved away, despite seemingly pushed off the ball by the Adelaide defender.

Mirroring the introduction of Burgess, Jenna Tristram also sought to make an immediate impact with her first touch, but despite beating her defender to a Kellond-Knight cross she couldn't direct her header on target.

Brisbane continued to pour pressure on the Adelaide defence, but the side from South Australia held firm, refusing to succumb to the relentless attacks.

Beaumont and Butt both went close from distance, but neither forced the goalkeeper into a save.

Tristram fashioned herself a shot on the turn despite the attention of two defenders, however McLaren was on her guard to save comfortably.

Roar's No.9 was in the thick of the action late in the game, forcing a wonderful save from McLaren after another snap shot, this time from a Beaumont cross.

Tristram had a golden opportunity to complete the comeback in stoppage time when she found herself free in the box having rounded McLaren, but the striker stood on the ball at the vital moment and allowed the Adelaide keeper to reclaim possession.

It proved to be the last clear chance of the match and Brisbane had to settle for a point.

Roar coach Jeff Hopkins said he was pleased with his team's response to falling two goals behind, but disappointed to have found themselves in that position in the first place.

"The circumstance of how we got ourselves into those circumstances was pretty disappointing," Hopkins said.

"Also having so much of the game in the second half and creating enough chances to win the game and not being able to finish things off was disappointing for all of us.

"There were a lot of good things that happened today, the thing we're most upset about was our inability to really put this team away."

Brisbane Roar 2 (Tamkea BUTT 42', Elise KELLOND-KNIGHT 53')

Adelaide United 2 (Rachael QUIGLEY 10', Ruth WALLACE 20')

Brisbane Roar: 20. Kate STEWART (GK), 3. Karla REUTER 4. Clare POLKINGHORNE (c), 7. Pam BIGNOLD, 8. Elise KELLOND-KNIGHT, 10.Lana HARCH (9 Jenna TRISTRAM 71'), 12. Steph LATHAM (6. Joanne BURGESS 38') 13. Tameka BUTT, 14.Sasha MCDONNELL, 16. Lauren COLTHORPE, 19. Ellen BEAUMONT

Unused substitute: 1. Casey DUMONT (gk), 15. Leah CURTIS.

Yellow cards: Elise KELLOND-KNIGHT (85')

Red cards: Nil

Adelaide United: 1.Sian McLAREN (gk), 5. Ashlee FAUL, 7.Racheal QUIGLEY (6.Thomai KEZIOS 90'+3), 8.Ruth WALLACE (9.Angela FIMMANO 69'), 11.Georgia CHAPMAN, 13.Lauren CHILVERS, 14.Donna COCKAYNE, 15.Tenneille BOALER (19. Nenita BURGESS 79'), 16.Christina PAPAGEORGIOU (c), 17.Karina ROWETH, 18.Rochelle KUHAR

Unused substitute: 6, 20.Kristi HARVEY (gk)

Yellow cards: Ashlee FAUL (44'), Donna COCKAYNE (67')

Red cards: Nil

Referee: Rebecca Durcau