Controversial afternoon at Suncorp Stadium

Brisbane Roar has suffered a 2-1 defeat against the Newcastle Jets in controversial circumstances at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Trailing by a goal with a tick over 10 minutes to play in the second-half, Massimo Maccarone appeared to have brought Brisbane back on level terms, splitting two Jets defenders and finishing.

Referee Matthew Conger called for VAR review as the players returned to halfway for the restart of play before overruling the decision after the Italian was found to be in an offside position in the lead-up.

The score stood until full-time but Head Coach John Aloisi was pleased with his side's character and ability to restrict the opposition in the second-half.

"We started the game slow. We had to do better for the first goal and we got caught on the counter for the second," Aloisi said.

"Our performance in the second half was brilliant. We thoroughly deserved something out of that game, if not all three points. I thought the boys were tremendous, they showed they have good character and that we are going to be a very good football side.

"In the second-half, when we were dominating, we restricted their opportunities, kept our pressure up and had our opportunities. We just unfortunately didn't get the result we wanted.

"We are going to pick up alot of results. It wasn't the one we wanted tonight, but as long as the players stay positive, we will get on a run soon."

Only days after arriving in Australia, French winger Eric Bautheac made his Hyundai A-League debut in the first-half, looking lively and dangerous on the ball.

Maccarone 16x9

Jets striker Roy O’Donovan opened the scoring after 12 minutes with a well-timed run to latch onto a low cross from Ronald Vargas.

Vargas would later be taken from the field after suffering a serious leg injury after a collision between himself and Matt McKay.

The Roar wasn't without its chances as Maccarone caused headaches for the Jets defence, and when Jack Hingert slid a low and dangerous ball across the goal mouth, they were back on level terms as the ball dribbled into the net off the boot of Nigel Boogaard. 

Parity lasted for a matter of minutes before Dimitri Petratos netted from distance to restore the Jets lead on the cusp of half-time.

Brisbane began the second half with an attacking flurry and gathered momentum as the period wore on.

The home was coming home with a wet sail, but the disallowed goal appeared to halt the momentum with the Jets securing numbers behind the ball and holding on for a one-goal victory.


  • Roar striker Massimo Maccarone wreaked havoc for the Jets defenders in the early stages and was unlucky not to find the net in the opening 45 minutes.

  • Corey Brown pulled up sore following a run forward in the first-half and was substituted in the 36th minute for Jack Hingert.

  • In his first game back at Suncorp Stadium, Dimitri Petratos netted a contender for goal of the season late in the first-half with a long-range drive.

  • It was a much-improved second-half from the Roar who had the better chances and deserved to get something out of the match.



Newcastle Jets – O’Donovan 12’ – 0-1
Ivan Vujica fires a low ball across the goal mouth and Roy O’Donovan peels away from the defence to tap in from point-blank range at the far post.

Brisbane Roar – Nigel Boogaard (O.G.) 42’ – 1-1
Jack Hingert makes an overlapping run down the right wing and Holman lays off of to him. Hingert fires a low ball across the face which is inadvertently turned into his own net by Nigel Boogaard.

Newcastle Jets – Dimitri Petratos 44’ – 1-2 
Dimitri Petratos runs towards the edge of the area, is afforded the space to shoot before firing a bullet of a shot in off the underside of the crossbar.


Hyundai A-League 2017/18: Round 3 – Brisbane Roar v Newcastle Jets
Suncorp Stadium
Sunday, 22 October

Brisbane Roar 1 (Boogaard o.g. 42’)

Newcastle Jets 2 (O’Donovan 12’, Petratos 44’)

Half-time: 1-2

Crowd: 10,104