Brisbane bounce Glory

Brisbane Roar has recorded its first win of the National Youth League season with a confidence boosing 3-1 win over Perth Glory at Goodwin Park.

Brisbane Roar has recorded its first win of the National Youth League season with a confidence boosing 3-1 win over Perth Glory at Goodwin Park.

Two goals from Josh McVey and a Perth Glory own goal were enough to secure the points in an encouraging performance from Rado Vidosic-s young team which bounced back from last week-s loss to Newcastle.

Both sides settled quickly, with the Brisbane players not showing any nerves against a Glory side boasting plenty of experience, including Brazilian World Cup player Amaral.

Glory had two good opportunities in the opening minutes through Andrea Jukic and Mario Marcinko with the latter forcing Roar keeper Matt Acton into a good save at the Perth striker-s feet.

Josh McVey had the Roar-s opening opportunity after six minutes when he attempted a long range chip over Glory shot stopper Alex Pearson, but he couldn-t drop the ball under the bar.

McVey was involved in the game-s opening goal when he burst into the Glory box after nine minutes.

The midfielder-s cross looking for Antony Schiavo deflected off Perth defender Brent Griffiths, leaving Pearson stranded as the ball rolled over the line.

The away side were back on level terms four minutes later when Ludovic Boi anticipated well to slam the ball home after Acton had made an impressive save from a powerful Jukic shot.

Glory threatened again shortly after when Daniel Bowles conceded a free-kick on the edge of the box, but the young Perth side could not find a way past the seven-man Roar wall.

Brisbane almost had another deflected goal on 21 minutes when Matthew Byrne headed goalward from a drilled Luke Brattan corner, Steven Hesketh was in the line of fire but his blushes were saved by a goal line clearance from the deflection.

The match settled into an end-to-end contest with both sides intent on showing their attacking prowess.

Despite all the attacking intentions neither side was able to seriously test either goalkeeper.

Brattan and McVey worked a free-kick move on the edge of the Glory box with eight minutes left in the half but having worked onto his left foot, Brattan was unable to keep his shot down.

Jordan Farina fashioned an opportunity for himself after a strong run across the edge of the Perth penalty area but his shot went just wide of the goal with Pearson scrambling.

Roar didn-t have long to wait though for another goal as in the next passage of play McVey put his name on the scoresheet.

Hesketh was put under pressure by an overhit Scott Bulloch pass and the young defender was unable to control the ball allowing McVey to steal in and slot past Pearson with no pressure.

Roar went into the break with a one goal cushion but the Glory looked to get back on level terms early in the second half with Howard Fondyke flashing a shot over the bar within two minutes of the restart.

Bulloch was the next to threaten with a shot from the edge of the box after 56 minutes, but his effort went well wide of Acton-s goal.

Acton was called into action a minute later when second half substitute Million Butshiire found himself with some space on the edge of the box, but the Roar keeper showed strong hands to the left foot shot on goal to keep the scoreline intact.

Butshiire again was looking to restore parity for the away side on 66 minutes with a long range effort but it cannoned into the chest of Acton.

The home side were the next to find the back of the net though when McVey was released by an excellent ball from Stefan Vrbesic before slotting past Pearson.

Brent Griffiths came agonisingly close to pulling one back for Perth two minutes later, but his diving header from an Amaral cross went wide of the mark.

While Perth were frantically pushing forward in an effort to get back into the game, the Roar showed plenty of composure on the ball, knocking confident passes around the park.

The home side had two free-kicks on the edge of the Glory box in the closing stages of the match, but were unable to break through for another goal.

With the last kick of the game McVey had a glorious opportunity to bag his third goal of the match - and cap off an excellent win - but from directly in front he skewed his shot wide from a Vrbesic cutback and the Roar had to settle for the two goal margin to secure the three points.


Brisbane Roar 3 (Griffiths TOG 9', McVey 43', 68')

Perth Glory (Boi 13')

At Goodwin Park, Yeronga

Brisbane Roar: 1. Matt ACTON (gk), 2. Matthew BYRNE, 4. Michael RYAN, 5. Daniel BOWLES, 7. Luke BRATTAN (3. Timothy DUNN 58-), 8. Jordan FARINA (6. Matthew THURTELL 58-), 10. Stefan VRBESIC, 11. Josh McVEY, 12. Ken DOUGALL, 14. Albert EDWARD, 15. Antony SCHIAVO (9. Tyler THURTELL 35-).

Substitutes (not used): 20. Luke MUIR (GK).

Goals: Brent GRIFFITHS (9- TOG), Josh McVEY (43-, 68-)

Yellow cards: Daniel BOWLES (49-), Matthew BYRNE (70-)

Red cards: Nil

Perth Glory: 1. Alex PEARSON, 2. James DOWNEY (OA), (5. Howard FONDYKE 38-), 3. Steven HESKETH, 4. Scott BULLOCH (OA), 6. Brent GRIFFITHS, 7. AMARAL (OA), 8. David PRICE, 9. Mario MARCINKO (10. Million BUTSHIIRE 46-), 11. Ludovic BOI, 12. Reece VITTIGLIA, 15. Andrea JUKIC (OA), (13. Ryan EDWARDS 46-).

Substitutes: All used.

Goals: Ludovic BOI (13-)

Yellow cards: 4. Scott BULLOCH (46-)

Red cards: Nil

Referee: Matthew GILLETT.

Bookmark and Share